Anne M. Vitale PhD
Anne M. Vitale Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist (California #PSY15764)
610 D Street San Rafael CA 94901
Voice: 415.456.4452 FAX: 415.663.8788
Web site https://avitale.com
Last update: Aug 2013
B.A ...University of California at San Diego, 1972
MFA...University of California at San Diego, 1973
Ph.D...Professional School for Psychological Studies, San Diego, 1982
DISSERTATION: History and Resolution of Sex/Gender Integration Needs as Experienced in Four Male-To-Female Transsexuals,
Professional School for Psychological Studies, San Diego, 1982
POST-DOCTORAL STUDIES Existential Psychotherapy with James F. Bugental Ph.D., 1983-91
Dates: 1984 to Present --- Licensed Psychologist (Calif #PSY15764) in Private Practice.
Psychotherapy with individuals, couples, families, adolescents, groups.
Specialty: Gender identity issues.
World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) 1979-present
Public Policy, Advocacy & Liaison Committee -2001-present
Standards of Care V7 Update Committee.
Various Corporations, Schools, State and Local Government Agencies, multiple media interviews, regarding gender identity issues.
* Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Assoc. XV Symposium, New York NY USA, 1993
* Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Assoc. XVIII Symposium, Vancouver, BC Canada. 1999
* Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Assoc. XIX Symposium,
Galveston TX., 2001
* Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Assoc. XX Symposium,
London, United Kingdom, 2003
* Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Assoc. XXI Symposium,
Bologna, Italy, 2005.
* World Professional Association for Transgender Health. XXII Symposium,
Chicago IL, 2007.
* National Transgender Health Summit, Univ. Calif. San Francisco CA, April 2011.
* Pathologization/Depathologization, video presentation at the Who's Afraid of Depathologization?" conference held on March 31, 2012, Turin, Italy.
SELECTED ESSAYS & PUBLICATIONS
Author: The Gendered Self: Further commentary on the transsexual phenomenon, Dec 2010, Lulu.com
Editor: VITALE LETTER a weekly online newsletter with world wide distribution. Covering legal, scientific, legislative action, art and entertainment and general information regarding gender and public affairs. 1996 to 2002
Editor/Author: NOTES ON GENDER ROLE TRANSITION. http://www.avitale.com
* Dances With Therapists or Hard time getting to the first appointment, Feb, 1996
* The Intake Appointment, March, 1996
* Psychological Evaluation For Hormonal Therapy, April 1996
* Implications of Being Gender Dysphoric, July, 1996
* Gender Identity Disorder: A Brief Description of the Problem, June, 1996
* Client/Therapist Conflict: How it started and some thoughts on how to resolve it, July, 1996
* Unlived Lives, August, 1996
* Guilt & Shame: The Unfortunate Twins of Gender Dysphoria, Oct, 1996
* Gender Transition in the Workplace: Advice for the Transitioning Employee November, 1996
* Gender Dysphoria: Treatment Limits and Options, July 1997
* The Mid-Life Awakening, Sept. 1997
* Sexism in the Male-to-Female Transsexual, October, 1997
* Preparing for Sex Reassignment Surgery, January, 1998
* Relationships: The Bane and the Promise, April, 1998
* Primary and Secondary Transsexualism--Myths and Facts, February, 2000
* Current Thinking Regarding the Etiology of Gender Dysphoria, Dec., 2002
* Emergence: A danger filled, critical time in the transition process, July 2002
* Gender Variant Expression: An Historical Account, Jan 2003
* The Gender Variant Phenomenon-- A Developmental Review, Jan' 2003
* Couples Therapy when the male partner is a cross dresser, January, 2004
* Transsexualism: An Expanded Definition, March, 2006
* "Potential Therapeutic Errors When Using Binary Terminology to Explain the Gender Variant Condition, November, 2006.
* "Rethinking the Gender Identity Disorder Terminology in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV (DSM IV) April 2006
* What is the Difference Between a Crossdresser and a Man Who Wants to be a Woman?, 2009
* Testosterone Toxicity Implicated in Male-to-Female Transsexuals? Some Thoughts, 2009
THE THERAPIST VS. THE CLIENT: How the Conflict Started and Some Thoughts on How to Resolve It.; Essay in RECOMMENDED GUIDELINES FOR TRANSGENDER CARE, Israel and Tarver editors, Aegis Press, 1995
IMPLICATIONS OF BEING GENDER DYSPHORIC: A Developmental Review, Gender and Psychoanalysis , An Interdisciplinary Journal. pp 121-141, Spring 2001
STANDARDS OF CARE FOR THE HEALTH OF TRANSSEXUAL, TRANSGENDER AND GENDER NONCONFORMING PEOPLE, 7TH VERSION, International Journal of Transgenderism.
Coleman, E., Bockting, W., Botzer, M., Cohen-Kettenis, P., DeCuypere, G., Feldman, J., Fraser, L., Green, J., Knudson, G., Meyer, W., Monstrey, S., Adler, R., Brown, G., Devor, A., Ehrbar, R., Ettner, R., Eyler, E., Garofalo, R., Karasic, D., Lev, A.I ., Mayer, G., Meyer-Bahlburg, H., Hall, B. P., Pfaefflin, F., Rachlin, K., Robinson, B., Schechter, L., Tangpricha, V., van Trotsenburg, M., Vitale, A., Winter, S., Whittle, S., Wylie, K., & Zucker, K. (2011).
OTHER PROFESSIONAL Memberships:
Bay Area Gender Associates
Association for Existential Inquiry.