Welcome To the Anne M. Vitale PhD Website
One Woman's Report On Her Sex Reassignment Surgery Experience in Montreal, Canada
By Dani Marie Kleist firstname.lastname@example.org
May 19, 2006
There were several reasons why I decided to go to Montreal for my surgery which was performed on June 21, 2004:
1) Program – Comprehensive 2 week stay. Picked up at the airport on a Thursday and taken to a mansion on an island north of Montreal known as the “Residence”. Here we spent our first couple of days talking with newly minted post-ops who had surgery on Monday or Tuesday that week. Then we went into the clinic on Monday or Tuesday the next week for our surgeries. When we returned on Thursday or Friday a new group of girls arrived for the next round. We shared our experiences and begin to heal. On the following Monday, our sewed-in stents were removed and we began our dilations. That Thursday we were taken back to the airport to return home.
2) Experience – Dr. Menard had been doing this surgery for 35 years when he worked on me (37 years now). He is also on the advisory panel for the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care. The other surgeon, Dr. Brassard was about 20 years younger but still had about 15 years experience. They perform these surgeries all year. Not just occasionally.
3) Procedure – They use a one-step procedure doing the vaginoplasty and labiaplasty at the same time. No need to return for the second procedure.
4) Hair removal – They scrape the hair from your genitals during surgery providing a much cleaner hair removal than going through the painful and expensive process of electrolysis on your genitals prior to surgery as many other facilities require.
5) Cost – It was significantly cheaper to have surgery in Canada as opposed to the US – Mine was $12,000 USD which included room and board at the residence. In the US it is about $25,000 - $60,000 depending on where you go and what kind of follow-up care is done before going home.
6) Companion – My wife was able to come with me and stay at the residence. It was wonderful to have her there right by my side.
These are the attributes that drew me to Montreal. And, most importantly, I am VERY PLEASED with the results. It was a wonderful experience from beginning to end. Lots of good times, good people, almost (for me) completely painless. I am very happy I went there. If I had to do it over, I would definitely go back there.
I wish you good fortune as you prepare for the most important moment of your life…the rebirth in the gender that you were denied at birth.
Copyright© 2006-2022 Anne Vitale PhD avitale.com All right reserved
Nothing on this site should be viewed as providing therapeutic advice. No formation of a client/therapist
relationship with Dr. Vitale is intended or to be implied or inferred. The information provided in this site is for educational
purposes only. I attempt to keep the information current but make no representation or warranties in that regard. You should
not rely upon this information as a substitute for consul with a qualified mental health professional.